Friday, January 21, 2011

Tackling Bread Dough

I did it! And it was so easy. I started mixing the ingredients for the dough together at 9am, and after letting it rest twice, it was ready to be rolled out and used to make a pizza. I stretch the dough onto a round pizza sheet and drizzled it with olive oil. I then topped it with freshly sliced mozzarella, halved grape tomatoes, and fresh basil. A sprinkle of salt and black pepper and it was in the oven.

I only used half the dough and am storing the rest in the refrigerator. I plan to use the remaining dough this weekend for another pizza (topped with sauteed broccoli and spinach). If I find the pizza dough to be of poorer quality the second time around, I will either half the recipe next time or bake a loaf of french bread with the remaining pizza dough.

Pizza Prior to Baking

Pizza Ready to Eat

A Slice for Me
Stay tuned...I will be tackling homemade pasta next.

3 comments:

  1. That looks so good, Lisa! I love homemade pizza! It just tastes so much better. I am also one of those people where I prefer veggies on my pizza instead of meat. Can you post your dough recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a "basic dough for white bread, french breads, pizzas and hard rolls" recipe from a Julia Child cookbook. The recipe makes enough dough for two 16-inch pizzas or three 18-inch baguettes (a ton and it's quite simple).

    1 package (a scant T.) active dry yeast
    1/3 c. warm water (not over 110*F)
    Pinch of sugar
    1 c. cold water
    3 1/2 c. unbleached white or bread flour
    1 T. rye or whole wheat flour
    2 1/4 t. salt

    Proof yeast in warm water for 5 minutes, then stire in cold water. Combine dry ingredients and in food processor (or by hand) process in the yeast and water slowly. Add more cold water if needed. Let dough rest 5 minutes. Knead 50 times. Place in ungreased covered bowl and let rest in draft free place (75*F is ideal but if colder it will just take longer to rise) for an hour and until dough is 1 1/2 times its original size.

    Then push dough out to form a 14 inch rectangle and fold like a business letter. Repeat and then return to rest. When dough has almost tripled in size (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours) it's ready to form and bake.

    I'm going to play around with different recipes and try using different flours now that I know what to do. If you start in the morning before breakfast, you can let it rise once during breakfast and clean up. Then the second rise will end just in time for lunch. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete