Sunday, January 2, 2011

In the Beginning: Conflicting Resolutions

So it seems that Resolutions #1 and #5 were conflicting today. I attempted to clean out all non-real, un-whole foods from my refrigerator and freezer today and was torn between throwing out my ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, and 2 frozen cheese pizzas (that supposedly contain no additives or preservatives) or keeping them to use at a later time, like when we have visitors who would miss the "normal" condiments at mealtime. In the end, resolution #5 outweighed #1 today, and I saved the items. The pizzas came in handy tonight for feeding our family, my 2 nephews, and niece. Here's a tip for those of you that want a cheap, fast, "gourmet" pizza: buy a quality plain cheese frozen pizza and when you're ready to use it, saute up some broccoli. Top the pizza with the broccoli, fresh tomatoes, fresh spinach, and fresh basil before baking. Grate fresh parmesan or asiago cheese on top when it's finished, and voila!...a "gourmet", inexpensive, vegetable loaded pizza.

I also took my oldest nephew grocery shopping today. The most important tip I gave him was to stay on the perimeter of the grocery store (except to purchase REAL whole grains, like oats, brown rice, etc., and legumes on the inner aisles). While I managed to stick with my resolution, I was surprised when I picked up heavy whipping cream and found more than just cream in it, as I was surprised that there was only 1 brand of eggnog that was real (from a local farm in a glass bottle). My nephew asked me an excellent question during our shopping trip, "Why does it cost so much more to eat healthy when there are fewer ingredients in the foods?" Great question!

No comments:

Post a Comment